Being a member of a Rotary club does not make someone a Rotarian, it only makes them a member of a club. A Rotarian helps the club achieve its goals and acts with high ethical standards. A Rotarian also participates in the club’s community projects both locally and internationally.
Eleanor, with husband and fellow Rotarian John Ramage
Rotarian of the Year
for 2021-21 is
Congratulations and thank you, Eleanor!
In recognition of your outstanding demonstration of Service Above Self; principled commitment to the 4-Way Test; contributions to the mission and operation of our club through each of the Rotary Avenues of Service; and for promoting Rotary by your actions and involvements. Thank you from a grateful club.
What is the ‘Rotarian of the Year’ award?
This annual award is designated for the one Rotarian in your club who clearly stands out in demonstrating “Service Above Self,” and principled commitment to the Four-Way Test. A nominee should be an outstanding club member who has made significant contributions to the mission and operation of your club, and to one or more avenues of Community or International Service.
The ‘Rotarian of the Year’ award may be given to a member who exhibits “Service Above Self” in their daily activities and who promotes Rotary by their actions and involvements. This may be accomplished through one major activity in club service, in multiple activities, or by serving on several committees. This person should be highly visible in the weekly activities of the club.
Specifically, how should an individual be evaluated for the ‘Rotarian of the Year’ award?
In determining if a person should be nominated for the ‘Rotarian of the Year’ award, there are a many factors our club considers. While no one can participate in every activity, be at every event or serve on every committee, the following list of criteria is presented to illustrate the range of things that should be considered when nominating a person for ‘Rotarian of the Year’. It is suggested that these items be reviewed, but the decision should not be limited to these items, nor should the items on the list be considered mandatory for selection:
Club Membership & Attendance
- To be considered for nomination, the candidate must have been a member of your Rotary Club for at least 1 full year.
- The nominee must be a member in good standing, i.e., dues current, etc.
- The nominee must have active membership status. Honorary Members, Special Members, or those on a Leave of Absence will not be eligible for the award.
- The nominee should have an exemplary attendance record. While perfect attendance is not a requirement, the nominee should either regularly attend your club meetings or complete make-ups when they are unable to attend.
Leadership & Recruitment
- The nominee has attended District level training (i.e., Seminar, District Assembly).
- The nominee has held an office, served on the Board of Directors, or worked on a committee for the club.
- The nominee has taken an active leadership role within the club.
- The nominee brings visitors and/or candidates for membership to the club and/or has been an active participant in the club’s membership drive.
Rotary Club Involvement
- The nominee has been involved with service projects that have been undertaken by the club through active participation and support.
- The nominee has been involved with fundraising projects that have been undertaken by the club through active participation and support.
- The nominee has participated in additional club activities that help to strengthen the camaraderie of the club, such as social events and Round-Ups.
- The nominee has contributed to the day-to-day workings of the club by helping with the tasks necessary for the club to function effectively.
District &/or Rotary International Involvement
- The nominee has worked on a District-level committee or held a District office.
- The nominee has participated in or helped to facilitate a District or RI program such as Group Study Exchange, Student Exchange, World Community Service Project, World Polio Day event, etc.
- The nominee has attended a District Assembly, District Conference, and/or annual Peace Conference.
Our Club’s Rotarians of the Year
2020-21: Keith Schwartz
Our Club’s Past Presidents
2020-21: Paul Estrella
2019-20: Nancy McAllister, Karen Hintz
2018-19: Karen Hintz
2017-18: Nancy McAllister
2016-17: Keleigh Schwartz
2015-16: Dennis Long
2014-15: Don Parsons
2013-14: Carol Lynn Ockfen
2012-13: Mike Karvia
2011-12: Mike Karvia
2010-11: Cheri Diehl
2009-10: Lynn Raymer
2008-09: Dick Fisher
2007-08: Carol Lynn Ockfen
2006-07: David George
2005-06: Keleigh Schwartz
2004-05: Shelly Pollock
2003-04: Jim Robertson
2002-03: Nancey Olson
2001-02: Dennis Long
2000-01: Sam Pierce
1999-2000: Karen Kaino
1998-99: Judy Iverson
1997-98: Bryce McMurry
1995-96: Paul McMurry